Antoni Gaudí 101: Who, What, Where?
Antoni Gaudí is one of the world’s most famous architects, and most of his work is found here in Barcelona.
His work doesn’t only attract architecture lovers but is a must-see for many travelers to Barcelona. To help you discover his Barcelona, here’s our Antoni Gaudí 101 crash keys about him.
As you probably know, Antoni Gaudí was a Spanish modernist architect with a very unique style. His work was influenced by his passions for architecture, nature, and religion and is famous for its unusual shapes. His fervent religious faith and his fascination with nature are important, however, his best quality is his talent.
Gaudí’s most famous building is the church of the Sagrada Família. Construction of the church started in 1882 and still isn’t finished. Gaudí took over as chief architect in 1883 and devoted the rest of his life to the building—and death, as he is buried in the crypt.
Park Güell was built on a hill in La Salut neighborhood. From here, you have a fantastic view over Barcelona and the Mediterranean Sea. The best time to visit is on a weekday around sunset.
Another house by Antoni Gaudí is Casa Batlló. Its fairytale-like design surprised the city and earned the nicknames ‘House of Bones’ and ‘House of Yawns’.
Casa Vicens was built for a tile manufacturer, and Gaudí used this fact in his design. The tiles are combined with bricks, which makes for a special sight.
His work is spread all over Barcelona and you can easily fill a few days with just Antoni Gaudí-inspired visits.
The best way to see all of his buildings and learn more about his life and work is to take a tour.
We organize many Gaudí-based tours, so which one is best for you really depends on what you feel is most interesting.
- Visit the exceptional works of the Sagrada Família and Casa Battló with The Gaudí Tour.
- The Sagrada Família Tour is perfect if you’re especially interested in the church and the greatest creation of the architect.
- Admire Park Güell with our Park Güell Tour, which includes skip-the-line tickets and a guided visit with an official and local guide.
- Visit two of Gaudí’s masterpieces with this private tour of Sagrada Família and Park Güell to enjoy the visit in total comfort.
- Learn all you need to know about “Modernisme” or “Art Noveau” with this private Gaudí & Modernisme walking tour.
- See what’s it’d be like to live in one of the famous Gaudí houses during a private Gaudí House tour. We will show you the details of every corner.
- Book a visit to Gaudí’s first house at Casa Vicens. An amazing building from the “Modernisme”.
- Delve into the mind of this genius at the Gaudí Exhibition Center with skip-the-line tickets. A good option to have a completely vision of his artworks in the city.
- Explore Gaudí’s Colònia Güell at your own pace, with this train audioguide package. A unique space unknown by many.
So are you ready to explore Gaudí’s Barcelona now? All your questions you can have here. We have your perfect plan in Barcelona.